...


John Clarke Burying Ground


                                       

Dr. John Clarke (picture on right) was a founding member of the city of Newport and obtained the Charter of 1663 granting religious freedom to residents of the colony.  A Baptist minister, Clarke gave this land to his church to be used for burials.  No marker for Clarke was established when he died but three have been installed in his honor.  He was a clergyman, physician, and statesman.

Additional burials on this site include Clarke's wives, other Baptists pastors and people connected with Rev. Michael Eddy who died in 1834.

This site is located on Dr. Marcus Wheatland Blvd. and Callender Avenue.

    

return to top of the page