...


Coggeshall Burying Ground


                                                

This site contains fifty burials with thirty-six inscribed stones.  The gate and wall were added in 1854 but the first gravestone dated 1647 is the oldest date of any in gravestone in Rhode Island. 

John Coggeshall was the first president of the colony under the patent obtained by Roger Williams. 

This map of the site was drawn in 1982 by Ed Connelly.

The site is located on Coggeshall Avenue south of the Breaker's stable.

    

For pictures of the April 2018 clean up use this link.

return to top of the page